In 1946, at the end of the Second World War, Ukrainian ex-patriot's within Great Britain founded the Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain ('the Association'). The head office is in London.
The Association was founded to promote and support the interests of the Ukrainian Community within the UK and is currently the largest representative body for Ukrainians and those of Ukrainian descent. Thereafter, regional branches were formed.
The Huddersfield Branch of the Association formed in 1948, meeting initially at Lindley Liberal Club. It is estimated that there were 250 Ukrainian exiles in Huddersfield, many exiled not only from their oppressed homeland, but also from their families, yet they chose to sacrifice in order to live in a free country.
The Huddersfield Branch of the Association formed in 1948, meeting initially at Lindley Liberal Club. It is estimated that there were 250 Ukrainian exiles in
In 1956, the Association, now with approximately 170 members purchased their first premises within Huddersfield, a large house in Trinity Street.
This allowed for the formation of more regular attendance, a bar, and the promotion of Ukrainian culture.
A school (shkola) was established and the community formed traditional Ukrainian dance groups.
With community numbers growing, the club purchased a new premises on Edgerton Road, called Edgerton Hill.
This large Victorian mansion has ample grounds and provided an amazing premises to hold functions, fetes and many different kinds of events.
The premises is still used to its full potential today.